Monday 22 February 2016

Setting a writing goal for book two ~ 2016

Awake in Purple Dreams

(Image created via Polyvore)

When we two parted
In silence and tears,
Half broken-hearted,
To sever for years,
Pale grew thy cheek and cold,
Colder thy kiss;
Truly that hour foretold
Sorrow to this!

The dew of the morning
Sunk chill on my brow;
It felt like the warning
of what I feel now.
Thy vows are all broken,
And light is thy fame:
I hear thy name spoken
And share in its shame.

They name thee before me,
A knell to thine ear;
A shudder comes o’er me-
Why wert thou so dear?
They know not I knew thee
Who knew thee too well:
Long, long shall I rue thee
Too deeply to tell.

In secret we met:
In silence, I grieve
That thy heart could forget,
Thy spirit deceive.
If I should meet thee
After long years,
How should I greet thee?
With silence and tears.

(Lord Byron)

Sitting here writing this blog post as I print off the first draft (not fully complete, yet) of my second book. I've struggled with getting this one typed up as life has been mentally and physically demanding in many ways since last September, but I must set my goal for completion. Get tough on myself. :o) 

The goal is to have the manuscript proofed, etc, ready for publishing in October 2016, that's exactly a year from when ' A Carpet of Purple Flowers' was published. I'm really excited about this one as the main character's story concludes. There is quite a bit of anguish and fast-paced action, but hopefully, the end will prove most satisfying for the readers that loved the first book. 

The characters in this story have changed so much, their growth measured by experiences, twists and turns. Each must face parts of themselves and accept the truth laid before them. Easier said than done. One character, in particular, has to go through a major transformation, which desperately changes aspects of other characters lives that are close to them. 

I also include some new characters that are important for the next book 'Claíomh Solais' (Shining Sword), and, of course, there are faces put to names mentioned in the first book. Lips are sealed.
It's incredible how much certain characters push to make their story heard. The new tale 'Claíomh Solais' started to unfold as I wrote 'Awake in Purple Dreams' and so I quickly outlined it as I continued with the second installation. It's been difficult not to side-track as I have fallen in love with that story, too. It intertwines nicely the new and old characters, continuing the epic tale. I never intended for the initial story to expand into these new directions, it just happened, and now I try my best to keep up. Lol. Outlining and keeping a book bible has proved invaluable. Investing in a filing cabinet really helped. I place the brain-stormed scribbles into separate drawers ready to refer back to at a later date. 

So now, I have the task of placing my hand-written notes into the partial manuscript that I've just printed and then type up those extra pieces. Fun, fun, fun. :o) I admire writers that can just type away without feeling the need to write on paper first. It just doesn't work for me. Most of the time I write back to front. If I'm feeling stuck on a chapter, I write another. A 'feel' thing. 
Editing is the toughie, I've actually swapped around chapters/paragraphs, removed/added scenes, but hopefully, all for the better. I've got that part to look forward to again. Tee hee. :o) 

(Symbolism ~ The Crow and Deer)

love and light
Trace
xoxo

No comments: